It’s been a beautiful spring so far in Kennebunkport, and our guests here at Captain Fairfield Inn are making the most of it. Some gather shells and sea glass while others visit Cabela’s for outdoor supplies. We love balmy days and the mild climate of the Southern Coast of Maine, but spring can be unpredictable — and we have our wet days, too.
Don’t let precipitation stop you from venturing out from our Kennebunkport Bed and Breakfast and exploring the many rainy-day Maine attractions and activities!
We think there’s truly something spectacular about strolling a deserted beach as the rain softly falls or savoring seafood chowder while gazing out the window at the misty town and sea. Go ahead, grab one of our large, complimentary umbrellas and wander to a few of the fabulous local shops. Don a wetsuit and kayak on the Kennebunk River. Devour a double-scoop ice cream cone.
Still, sometimes you just want something warm and worthwhile when the sky goes grey. To help you enjoy The Kennebunks as we do no matter what the weather, we’ve compiled this list of things to do on a rainy day in Kennebunkport. All of these attractions and activities have our stamp of approval and are just a short distance from the Captain Fairfield Inn.
Top Ten Things To Do on a Rainy Day in Kennebunkport:
10. Indulge in some comfort food – as if we need to suggest this. Whether your favorite is fish and chips, a hearty burrito, or delivery pizza, you won’t have to go far in our foodie town.
9. Attend a live theater performance. The famous Ogunquit Playhouse is not alone. There are some great choices in Portland and Portsmouth, plus Biddeford’s City Theater, and the Arundel Barn Playhouse which is 10 minutes from the inn.
8. Hop on the Intown Trolley Tour. It’s a good way to learn a bit of history, stake out the area for future exploring, or get off (and back on later) in locations you’d like to traverse.
7. Stop by a gallery or an art venue, even if only a block or so away. Mast Cove has a wide collection of artists as well as the occasional jazz event. You can meet the painter at W. Robert Paine Gallery and see pictures of him and Norman Rockwell as young artists.
6. Go to the movies. The area has a few singular silver screen options: Cinemagic & IMAX, Saco Drive-in Theater, and Smitty’s, where you can enjoy a full meal in an oversized chair.
5. Hit the gym! Boost those endorphins with a workout. You can purchase a day pass from Quest Fitness and enjoy up to date machines, classes, and even a pool.
4. Shop the outlets in Kittery or Freeport. If you can’t treat yourself, think of Mother’s Day and Father’s Day! Antiques dealers and independent shops also abound.
2. Tour a brewery like Allagash or Kennebunkport Brewing Co. We carry awesome local beers at Captain Fairfield Inn, but visit the source and you might learn a thing or two and sample something special.
1. Take a spa day. Cottage Breeze Day Spa is great for a Maine River Stone Massage or full body treatment, while Soakology in Portland earns the description “foot sanctuary”.