Modern Kennebunkport Lodging and The Saga of the Captain
What is now a beautiful choice in historic Kennebunkport lodging, the Captain Fairfield Inn was originally built in 1813 on land given to James Fairfield and his bride Lois Walker as a wedding present. When Captain Fairfield first built the house, he invited his brother-in-law, Joseph Lord (a sea captain as well) and his sister Polly Lord to share the home with them. Both men were at sea for long periods of time and their wives found comfort in each other’s company.
A classic example of early Federal period architecture, in its current incarnation as a bed and breakfast, many original details, from the wide plank pine floors to the interesting finish molding in the living room and library, can still be appreciated today.
For nearly 30 years, the Captain Fairfield Inn has been operating as a well-regarded bed and breakfast inn. Today we are pleased to offer the luxuries that seasoned travelers now expect, while maintaining a reverence for the history of the home.
To read more about Captain Fairfield and the epic saga of his portrait, click here.